Grove Farm, Freston, Suffolk
In 1841 Grove Farm was owned by East Clayton Esquire and occupied by George Ford Hare according to tithe records. The farm at this time extended to 254 acres. In 1871 & 1891 censuses Grove Farm was occupied by Charles Ed and Sarah Elizabeth WRINCH. The 1871 census states it was a farm of 335 acres employing 17 men, 6 women and 8 boys).??Born 1784 (baptised 25 October 1784) Woolverstone Suffolk of Joseph and Mary HARE.
Married Frances RIVERS (m Woolverstone 12 February 1811) born 1781 Nettlestead. Children baptised Mary Anne 29th September 1811; George [born 27th October 1813] 7th November 1813 Woolverstone son of butcher; Francis [born 17 May 1818] 24th May 1818 Woolverstone daughter of butcher ; Joseph 23rd September 1820 Woolverstone son of butcher.On 1841 census living in Freston and tithe records show G F Hare as occupier of Grove Farm. In 1851 living in Holbrook with daughter Francis (born 1821 Woolverstone).
The G H Berners Woolverstone Estate 1937 Sale Catalogue describes Grove Farm as follows:?Lot 160 : A good dairy farm. Red brick built with slate roof. Dining and Drawing rooms, Study, Kitchen, Housemaid’s Pantry, Pantry and Scullery, Larder and Cellar. 6 bedrooms ?and dressing room bathroom and WC.Farm buildings. Brick built & tiled Granary, Churn house, Nect House for 30 cows, Mixing House, Root House, Grinding House with Granary Over, Corn Barn, covered Yard, Stables with chaff & collar houses, loose boxes, horse yards and open sheds, Nag stable and coach house. A detached timber and tiled range of cart and implement sheds. A large timber and corrugated iron implement shed. A timber & corrugated iron range of piggeries and yard.339 acres in Freston, Holbrook and Woolverstone.
In 1841 Potash Farm was owned by Alfred BOND and occupied by Thomas BRADBROOK according to tithe records. The farm at this time extended to 83 acres. However the 1841 census shows William ALDERTON age 50 as well as Thomas BRADBROOK as farmer. In 1861 Robert and wife Marian PHILPOT are shown as farmer of 130 acres employing 8 men and one boy. In 1871 Robert’s wife is Mary [sic?] born 1840 Helmingham, and the farm is 142 acres employing 6 men and 12 boys, nephews Robert (born 1852 Kelsale) and Henry (born 1854 Bramfield) PHILPOT are in residence. By 1881 the farm was occupied by brothers Robert and Francis PHILPOT and sister Susan BALLS together with nephew N R PHILPOT and niece Clary Pinkney.In1891 Potash Farm was occupied by William (age 60 born Hindlesham Suffolk) and Eliza BUTCHER (age 50 born Creeting Suffolk). John PAYNE was farm bailiff.Children of John & Elizabeth PHILPOT (nee NORMAN).Robert PHILPOT baptism details not known. Married Marian born 1820 ? Winsten Suffolk. Lived at Potash Farm Freston for 1861, 1871 and 1881 (Widowed) censuses.?Francis PHILPOT baptised at Heveningham 18 July 1818. (Lived (Widowed) ? at Potash farm Freston for 1881 census).
Thomas PHILPOT baptised at Heveningham 24 May 1819.?Susan PHILPOT baptised at Heveningham 26 Sept 1820 and married Henry BALLS 28th December 1840 or 1841 at Bramfield. (Lived (Widowed) ? at Potash Farm for 1881 census).
Mary PHILPOT baptised at Hevingham 12 November 1821. ??Thomas BRADBROOK was born in 1791 Claydon Suffolk , married Susan born 1811 Claydon Suffolk. Son George BRADBROOK born 1817 Wherstead Suffolk. Living at Potash Farm on 1841 census. Father Tithe records and 1841 census show John and Anthoninia BIRCH as farmer of the Bond Hall estate. The lands were rented from Revd Henry Denny Berners, Revd John Theodore Bond and Sir Philip Brooke, totalling 249 acres.The 1873 electorial register lists John Lott MANNING and William MANNING as joint occupiers.
Born 1804 Groton near Hadleigh baptised 25/11/1804 at Groton son of John (born 1777 Naughton bapt 14 Apr 1776 of Thomas and Susan MANNING) and Mary MANNING (born 1780 Washbrook) and still listed in Groton on the 1851 census. However thought to have moved to Freston shortly afterwards as mentioned as early 1854 in Freston parish records. Joint occupier of Bond Hall with brother William MANNING and Mary MANNING who all remained unmarried. ?Born 1808 Groton near Hadleigh baptised 21/8/1808 at Groton son of John (born 1777 Naughton bapt 14 Apr 1776 of Thomas and Susan MANNING) and Mary MANNING (born 1780 Washbrook) and still listed in Groton on the 1851 census. However thought to have moved to Freston shortly afterwards as his brother is mentioned as early 1854 in Freston parish records. Joint occupier of Bond Hall with brother John Lott MANNING and Mary MANNING who all remained unmarried.?Buried Freston 3/21894 residence given as Ipswich which would account for his absence on the 1891 census in Freston.